By T. Saye Goinleh
The National Disaster Management Agency (NDMA) on Tuesday identified with some residents of New Kru Town on the Bushrod Island after their two houses were gutted by fire and burned to ashes.
Survivors of the fire incident told the New Republic that although no one died as the result of the blaze, but all of their belongings were completely consumed by the fire causing them not to take away a pin. They could not readily say what the exact cause of the fire was, but only hinted that it started from the ceiling.
However, a man in his late fifties, but not one of those residents of the burned houses alerted this Paper that he was able to gather that someone used an electric heater in a rubber bucket and left it unattended and caught fire spreading rapidly across the two buildings.
An owner of one of the houses told reporters more than one hundred occupants were dwelling in the two structures amounting to about nine family heads.
Those items donated by the NDMA included ten bags of hundred KG rice, four bags of blankets (Comforter) and other assorted clothing for children and baby mothers.
Speaking at the donation, the Executive Director of the National Disaster Management Agency, Henry O. Williams expressed sorrow to the victims on behalf of government and urged them to not lose hope as these kinds of situation can happen to anyone.
He assured them and admonished that they should continue to pray as he and his group lobby to get more resources to adequately cater to all of those affected by the blaze. He promised them that they will get back to them in a shorter possible time with whatever little they receive from donors and friends out there.
Responding, the chairman of the community, Corus Zahzah extended heartfelt gratitude to the NDMA team for the gesture and assured than that the items presented will be distributed justly to the victims and appealed that this should not be the end as they will be expecting them to return.